Sunday, October 20, 2013

A week of extremes

I'm so so happy to say that this quilt top is done.  All these beautiful "reproductions" from Caryl Bryer Fallert's hand dyes are together in one quilt top (no culling out of warms or browns, as I had planned).  I adore it.  The colors together make me very very happy -- as does getting it off the design wall, off the floor, off my cutting table, off my sewing table..... It had taken over my little sewing room.  Now it is neatly folded and waiting for quilting inspiration (and time).  I had failed to mention in my original post that this is a free pattern from Marcus Fabrics using their Ombre strips (pattern is called Ombre Hand Dyes by Nancy Rink).  I think we sometimes forget about all the great FREE patterns that fabric manufacturers have available to us through their websites.  Anyway -- it's done and the floor is now visible in my sewing room.
And -- to keep that feeling of "accomplishment" going -- I have continued to plug along with my little bitty 4 patches that were part of a swap from earlier this year.  Briefly, we were to make 800 of these little darlings and package them in groups of 100 (I think) where they would be assembled and redistributed -- with each of us getting 1 of our bags back and 4p from 7 other quilters. Not!  Long story but I got at least two of my bags back and maybe more (one quilter decided she'd keep all hers!).  Plus I had made 100+ more for my quilt.
I absolutely have NO idea how many 4p I have -- but I know that the 7 finished blocks I've made have over 100 in them and I've just started.  The blocks (each with 16 4p) finish at 8" so this may or may not be a twin size quilt -- I literally don't know.  I'll keep sewing in steps until the squares are used up and then decide whether I need to make a few more (using 1.25" strips) or chuck the extras.
My milestone for the week is getting the first step done.  Every little square now has sashing on one side -- setting it up for the next step(s) with half being sewn together and half getting a 2.5" "topper" strip.  Since this is a leader/ender project, I just grab and sew as I finish a row and need something in my machine to be ready to sew the next piece on the quilt I'm "really" working on.

This will be years in the making --

But, all in all, a good week.  One quilt top made with 2.5" strips and only 15 pieces in the entire block. And, one step completed in teeny tiny pieces of all kinds -- darks, lights, batiks, vintage, low quality, homespuns, Kaffe, hand-dyes, florals, novelties, you name it.  So much fun to come across someone else's fabrics -- and keep the line moving!

I hope you are having a productive week -- whether it's with little bitty pieces or larger, dramatic pieces,  or quilting, or cutting, or designing, or just dreaming of your next project!

Jan

31 comments:

The Kim Six Fix said...

I love the finished quilt.. The colors are so vibrant. And wow.. that is a lot of 4 patches!!

Sum of their Stories said...

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful. I really don't have the patience for something as large as a quit but I admire those who do!

Ramona said...

Your quilt to is just gorgeous. The colors just sing. It will be fun to see your progress with your little four patches. Enjoy!

Bonnie said...

Wait, I needed to reread that... you made 800 4 patches to mail off? ARGH I don't think I could do that. Way too many for my sanity. I never expect great things from these type of swaps. I am often thrilled and surprised but if the blocks aren't great, I'm not terribly disappointed. I am interested to see how these look as time goes on. Your bright quilt is wonderful. And I sure understand how a quilt can take over a studio!

Vicki W said...

I adore that quilt!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very disappointing swap! I think I have enough fabric that if I made 800 4P blocks it would look like I'd been part of a swap! Can't wait to see the results; I like what you have going so far.

And I love the bright quilt top!

Teri said...

Love the block you have created. I have a whole container of 1 1/4" strips. This might make a nice wall hanging. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sheila said...

Beautiful, colorful quilt! Wow.
Such cute tiny little blocks. You go gill. I don't have enough patience for a project like this one.

Sewing Mom said...

That is amazingly beautiful! I don't do much with little scrappy things...I don't think I have the time or patience for it at this point in my life, but wow, great job.

Pat Merkle said...

Love the bright colors in your quilt top! Fabulous.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and wow are those some teeny tiny squares in the other one! Looks like a great Leaders & Enders project! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Candace said...

Your quilt is so colorful and striking; and our tiny 4 patch project is very intriguing. I would love to see it grow.

Mandi said...

That is one good looking quilt. It's very colorful.

heather said...

That's a great project for a leader ender. If you tried to do just that it would be overwhelming. It will look amazing when it is done!

Julia Graber said...

Congratulations on your bright and fun finished top. It's going to be a happy quilt. And keep plugging away at the four-patches. All too soon they will be finished into a quilt top too.

Quiltin Jenny said...

Love your finished top. You are right - the colors are perfect and would have been missing something if you had taken some out.

I also agree that we are so lucky to have so many awesome free patterns online.

That 4p project sounds like a fantastic leader ender project, but when I realized how small they are I had to say "I'm out!" I can't believe how many you've made, and can already tell that it will be a spectacular project when it is eventually completed. It will just sparkle with such a variety of scraps.

Anonymous said...

Your multi-coloured quilt is absolutely stunning. I am so glad you kept the browns in.

MC said...

Great quilt top! I love the bright bold colours.

Shannon said...

What fun!! I love the explosion of color on the quilt. So fun! I am amazed at your 4p. They are so cute!!! I can't wait to see when it is finished!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Your quilt radiates! Gorgeous! Oh my all those little blocks is a lesson in endurance and patience! It's going to be a fantastic quilt someday!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

Lots of fun little bits in the works, I see! Love that bright burst of color and really fancy those scrappy squares!

Béa said...

Gorgeous quilt and beautiful blog !

Margaret said...

Absolutely beautiful. What a treasure!

audrey said...

I'm out of words! This top is ah-mazing. Love love! :)

Jill said...

Absolutely amazing!! Love the colors, makes me wish I had the patience to quilt!

Kris said...

I love the colors of the ombre quilt...but I adore the 4 patch. is that a particular pattern??

Quilt Art Design said...

The colours you have chosen are amazing. Love the vibrant look of your quilt. Congrats on the finish.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great quilt! Those colors are incredible!

Sistergirl said...

Great JOB!!! It is beautiful. Making a quit is on my bucket list.

Susan@Organized31 said...

What a beautiful quilt you're going to have, but I have to say I admire your determination (I'm much too lazy to tackle this one!). Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.