Saturday, January 5, 2013

Starting Fresh!

Don't you just love the New Year and being able to put aside the "to do" list from the previous year and start fresh?  So, I didn't get my first Turning Twenty quilt top put together (already cut) and the homespun tumbler top still doesn't have borders -- and they have both been on the list for two years.  They are both back on the 2013 year, as well!

I don't know about you but I got about 60% of my goals accomplished and did a boatload of other things that didn't start out the year on the list -- but were finished and distributed by the end of 2013.  Once the Christmas quilts were completed and bound, I was free to do what I wanted.  But what was that?  As it turns out, I was a bit aimless in my sewing room for a few days.  I was like a moth bouncing from flame to flame -- or project to project.
Remember these precut scrap strips for my ongoing log cabin quilt blocks?  One of the things I did manage to do before heading to Toronto was sort them and put them in a tote.  How long they will be this organized remains to be seen but they are set up to be used counter clockwise.
You may have seen this link on other blogs -- but if you are a log cabin quilt lover as I am (as noted in this post), there is a great free log cabin booklet from Fons and Porter that you may want to download.  It's worth it for the easy-to-read charts on what the cutting requirements are for the various patterns.  Take a look and see what you think.  Free is good.  And "free and good at the same time" is even better.  I am in love with the Ricky Tims block that starts with a 7/8" strip.  I so want to do that in Cherrywoods -- but am not willing to put that much yummy fabric in the seam allowances.  Bigger is better with them, I think (and I forgot to put that on my 2013 goals -- but I must finally do something with my "scrap bags" that I have).  How nice to have the strips already calculated for me.

All in all -- I am a Fons and Porter fan.  They are generous with material on the internet (vs some sites that charge for almost everything and do so much self-promotion that it gets tiresome quickly).  I have bought lots of their fabric in the past, subscribed to their magazine for years before we moved, and believe they make one of the best seam rippers on the market.  I don't mind ripping -- I DO mind having sloppy work in my finished quilts -- so I use a seam ripper pretty often and can certainly dull one over a few years.  I am down to one F&P seam ripper after dulling one and then breaking the point off another (I have no idea how that happened).  In a perfect world, I'd have one on both floors of the house and in every project that I take when I travel.  I feel the same way about a few of their other tools and their 8" x 14" ruler is my favorite ruler when cutting strips.
I have a lot of seam rippers -- some were my mother's and are probably antiques!  Some are cheap ones that I picked up hoping they would do the trick.  They don't.  One is this incredibly generous gift from a friend. I'm pretty sure this Gingher seam ripper could be used for surgery. It's a little scary and stays in its case unless I have serious ripping to do.

Look at this thing!  I could defend myself with it -- successfully!
I will not be making one of my 2013 goals to rip less!  But maybe, I should have a January goal of getting another seam ripper! I hope you are making plans for 2013 and then letting inspiration lead you!

Jan

17 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! that's a serious seam ripper!! Yes - I love the new year too - so nice to start a fresh and set new goals! Good luck with yours in 2013!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Chris said...

I do like the chance to start fresh too. It is always motivating.

Fluster Buster said...

That's one heck of a seam ripper. I’m a new follower. I saw your link on Creating my Way to Success. I would love for you to come by and share your creativity with my friends @
http://www.flusterbuster.com/search/label/Fluster%20Muster%20Party

Robin@ Fluster Buster
Fluster Muster Linky Party - Wednesdays

Bea said...

That seam ripper looks sharp! Congrats on all that you accomplished on 2012! Visiting from Better Off Thread linky party :)

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm with the others... that ripper looks like a weapon! I also love the fresh start of a new year, new month, new week - anything is possible right?

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I absolutely love January for its fresh start too. Looks like you have some stellar projects lined up and we can't wait to see them. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful.
p

AnnieO said...

Your log cabin strips in the tote look raring to go--good job getting them all lined up and neat. Playing with scraps is high on my to do list this year.

I think my seam ripper is dull--will have to check out the F&P one!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Those are some neat seam rippers! It is fun to start the new year and....new projects! Love all the strips cut for your log cabin quilt. Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Kristen said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. I really need to start quilting! It has been on my to do list for ages! www.ladybug-blessings.com

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

That is some crazy seam ripper! Happy new year and a fresh start to new projects (and some finishes on old ones, too!). Thanks for linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday!

Unknown said...

WOW! Getting already cut strips organized is something I really should do. Mine are just stacked together in a pild. Getting my favric organized in general is a goal of mine for this year.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

vexa said...

I never saw such seam riper. As usual tons of plans and ideas no matter if it's January or June.

The Busy Bee's said...

Thank you for sharing. I found you on Chick on a Shoestring's link party. We love to quilt too!! Hope you will 'buzz' over and visit us at the Busy Bee's!
Joye & Myrna
thebusybhive.blogspot.com

Sarah Craig said...

It's always fun to get a fresh start - new year, new project, even new seam ripper! Whoop whop!!

Adorned From Above said...

Hi Jan,
I love your new fabrics, and that last seam ripper is scary. I'm always ripping seams. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
Melanie @ Keep It Simple and Fun

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am impressed that you only have two quilts to roll over from 2012 ;-) Enjoy making your log cabins!

Life according to Lenetta said...

Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html